[DWJ] Which syllable do you stress in "Chrestomanci"?

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Wed Oct 5 05:34:44 EDT 2011

On 04/10/11 22:48, Andrea Höst wrote:
> On 5 October 2011 01:51, Eleanor Joslin<eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk>  wrote:
>> Yes.  Part of why I have never much liked it as a name is that he and his predecessors aren't Italian, and he doesn't have any particular connection with Italy (in The Magicians of Caprona he's a foreigner) and so I don't think it makes sense for him to have a name that looks Italian, especially when it really isn't.  Or is it?
>
> The first Chrestomanci may have been Italian.  [Since surely there's
> been more than the ones we met?]  Since it's a title, not a family
> name, there's many ways to explain its etymology.  Perhaps the
> language of magic bears a strong resemblance to Italian?

I thought of that, but then I'm not sure why they have a castle in
England and work for the British government.  Perhaps that's the case
only for as long as the Chrestomanci is British.  Although, is Gabriel
de Witt British?

You may be right about the language of magic.  The Montanas and
Petrocchis are very particular about pronouncing their spells just so,
aren't they?  But Cat and Christopher -- and for that matter Roger,
Julia and Gwendolen, who aren't enchanters -- never seem to use any
words at all.  And Nan makes up her own.