[DWJ] Which syllable do you stress in "Chrestomanci"?

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Wed Oct 5 05:31:20 EDT 2011

OK, so I was totally talking out of my hat when it came to American
speech patterns.

I am trying to think whether I ever heard DWJ say the name.  Surely I
must have during one of the talks I went to.  I think that if she had
said anything other than "ChrestoMANci" I would have noticed.

However, at one of these talks someone asked her about pronunciation of
her made-up names, and I think she said she didn't mind what people
said, and that it mattered more how they looked on the page.  And in
general she was good at pronounceable names (though I have never been
sure how to say "Ynen").

Oh, and "coROLLary", which as far as I can remember is used universally
in the Oxford maths department.