[DWJ] Which syllable do you stress in "Chrestomanci"?

Martha Hixon marthahixon at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 20:25:36 EDT 2011

I have the Greenwillow edition, and as noted earlier, the pronunciation is
given (page 188), but it's in all caps, with no indication of where the
emphasis should be, just how the syllables are phonetically pronounced.

Though the word does seem sort of Italian, I thought that it came from
Greek, which translates, as Thomas said earlier, as "useful magician." Very
appropriate, I think.

Martha

Dr. Martha P. Hixon
Department of English