[DWJ] Which syllable do you stress in "Chrestomanci"?

Judith Ridge judith.ridge at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 19:58:09 EDT 2011

On 5 October 2011 00:08, Irina Rempt <irina at valdyas.org> wrote:

> This reviewer says "CHRES-tomanci". I've always pronounced it
> "Chresto-MAN-ci". Am I alone?
>
> Doesn't Estelle have "krest-oh-MAN-zee" on her slip of paper in Witch Week?
> Can't get at the book quickly now, but I'm practically sure because it
> taught
> me how to pronounce it.

I am fairly sure that somewhere--perhaps on the back jacket copy of the
reprints or something--the pronunciation is explained as Chresto-MAN-ci. I
know I have seen it written so in some "official" capacity.  I'll have a
look at my books when I get home tonight.

Judith

--
Judith Ridge
Western Sydney Young People's Literature Officer

Arts and Cultural Development
Blacktown City Council
PO Box 63
(62 Flushcombe Road)