[DWJ] Which syllable do you stress in "Chrestomanci"?

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Oct 4 16:59:30 EDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: dwj-bounces at suberic.net [mailto:dwj-bounces at suberic.net] On Behalf Of Otter Perry
Sent: Wednesday, 5 October 2011 9:46 a.m.
To: Diana Wynne Jones discussion
Subject: Re: [DWJ] Which syllable do you stress in "Chrestomanci"?

I'm an AE speaker -- grew up in
southern New England, spent 27 years or so in what is
fondly referred to as "southeast lower Michigan" [that is,
Detroit and Ann Arbor and so on], and now live in the
northern part of southwest Colorado.

I think the major difference in emphasis between American
English and British English occurs in multi-syllabic words.
BE speakers tend to emphasize an earlier syllable that AE
speakers do. [That is, if the people who do recorded books
are anything to go by.]

That is, an AE speaker will say "mi gra TO ry" about birds,
where a BE speaker will say "mi GRA to ry".

Stephanie Daniel, who narrates the Phryne Fisher books and
I rather assume is Australian, took me completely aback
with "co ROL la ry".

I'm really enjoying this discussion, and teasing out slight differences in emphasis.
Otter, I'm from New Zealand, and always say "co ROL la ry". What other ways do people say it?

Thanks very much to Thomas for the Greek derivative of Chrestomanci - it is lovely to have the meaning of the name explained.
Oh, and BTW, I always say ChrestoMANci - perhaps subconsciously assigning an Italian pronunciation to it?

Regards
Elizabeth