[DWJ] Which syllable do you stress in "Chrestomanci"?

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Oct 4 16:46:09 EDT 2011

I'm an AE speaker -- grew up in
southern New England, spent 27 years or so in what is
fondly referred to as "southeast lower Michigan" [that is,
Detroit and Ann Arbor and so on], and now live in the
northern part of southwest Colorado.

I think the major difference in emphasis between American
English and British English occurs in multi-syllabic words.
BE speakers tend to emphasize an earlier syllable that AE
speakers do. [That is, if the people who do recorded books
are anything to go by.]

That is, an AE speaker will say "mi gra TO ry" about birds,
where a BE speaker will say "mi GRA to ry".

Stephanie Daniel, who narrates the Phryne Fisher books and
I rather assume is Australian, took me completely aback
with "co ROL la ry".

I put the emphasis in "Chrestomanci" the same place I put
it in "necromancy".

On Oct 4, 2011, at 12:30 PM, jodel at aol.com wrote:

> I would have never even considered pronouncing it as anything other than ChrestoMANcy. But then, I live in Los Angeles, where Spanish is a strong secondary presence in local place/street names, and the books weren't out until I was in my 30s.
>
> For that matter, I take issue with the statement that USAlians characteristically stress the first sylable of long words. I certainly can't think of that as a typical American speech pattern.
>
> Note: I do remember my stepmother doing it, now that I give it some thought. It might be a midwestern thing. But My dad and his sisters were from the midwest as well, and they certainly didn't.

--------

People say nothing rhymes with orange,
but it doesn't.