[DWJ] Which syllable do you stress in "Chrestomanci"?

jodel at aol.com jodel at aol.com
Tue Oct 4 14:30:52 EDT 2011

I would have never even considered pronouncing it as anything other
than ChrestoMANcy. But then, I live in Los Angeles, where Spanish is a
strong secondary presence in local place/street names, and the books
weren't out until I was in my 30s.

For that matter, I take issue with the statement that USAlians
characteristically stress the first sylable of long words. I certainly
can't think of that as a typical American speech pattern.

Note: I do remember my stepmother doing it, now that I give it some
thought. It might be a midwestern thing. But My dad and his sisters
were from the midwest as well, and they certainly didn't.