[DWJ] Which syllable do you stress in "Chrestomanci"?

Ellen Willcox eawil3 at email.wm.edu
Tue Oct 4 12:38:29 EDT 2011

I'm American - not from New England, though much of my family is, and my
accent is a bit muddled from living with them but in Virginia and North
Carolina - and I've always said CHRES-tomanci.  Am I seriously the only one
besides this reviewer?

That makes me wonder:  those of you who read Harry Potter, how do you
pronounce the Hogwarts school subject "Arithmancy"?  I put the emphasis on
the first syllable again; I'm curious whether anyone does it differently.

- Nic