[DWJ] Which syllable do you stress in "Chrestomanci"?

Thomas Thurman thomas at thurman.org.uk
Tue Oct 4 11:00:28 EDT 2011

On 4 October 2011 15:51, Eleanor Joslin <eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk> wrote:
> Yes.  Part of why I have never much liked it as a name is that he and his
> predecessors aren't Italian, and he doesn't have any particular connection
> with Italy (in The Magicians of Caprona he's a foreigner) and so I don't
> think it makes sense for him to have a name that looks Italian, especially
> when it really isn't.  Or is it?

Goodness, I had never even considered that the name might be Italian.
Since I was a kid I'd always assumed it was taken from χρήστο chresto-
(from χρήσιμος "useful", as in "chrestomathy") and μάντις mantis
"soothsayer, prophet", thus "useful magician". I'm just guessing, of
course. Did DWJ pronounce on the matter anywhere?

Thomas Thurman, poet and programmer - thomas at thurman.org.uk
What do you do when a dragon steals your library books? http://s.coop/borrowable