[DWJ] Which syllable do you stress in "Chrestomanci"?

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Oct 4 10:51:42 EDT 2011

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011, Charlotte Taylor wrote:

> Here in the southern New England part of the US, where there are lots
> of Italian families, it would be hard to imagine anyone saying
> anything other than Chretso MAN ci....

I live in the central New England part of the US, also surrounded
by Italian families, and I put the stress on the first syllable.

(I made a rule in the second week of my fantasy and science
fiction class this semester that nobody was allowed to be
embarrassed at not being able to pronounce fantasy names. My role
was anything goes. Then, of course, we got to Divakaruni's THE
CONCH BEARER, where the names weren't fantasy but Indian, and
suddenly I realized that the "anything goes" rule had to be
specifically stated to be about non-Earth names only.)

-deborah