[DWJ] Which syllable do you stress in "Chrestomanci"?

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Tue Oct 4 10:51:13 EDT 2011

On 04/10/11 15:45, Charlotte Taylor wrote:
> Here in the southern New England part of the US, where there are lots
> of Italian families, it would be hard to imagine anyone saying
> anything other than Chretso MAN ci....

Yes.  Part of why I have never much liked it as a name is that he and
his predecessors aren't Italian, and he doesn't have any particular
connection with Italy (in The Magicians of Caprona he's a foreigner) and
so I don't think it makes sense for him to have a name that looks
Italian, especially when it really isn't.  Or is it?