[DWJ] Music in DWJ

Gillian Houck erikagillian at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 22:40:11 EST 2011

There's other Armitage stories with music in them.  Including a wish
in song form in the framing story.  There's the choir and magically
perfect singing voices, that one reminded me of being as beautiful as
the day in Five Children and It. At least I think it was Five
Children.  Oh, I'm certain there's at least one more in that book.
For anyone who read the old Armitage stories and hasn't heard of it,
there is a new edition with new stories including an ending for the
Serial Garden, I believe her daughter said in the introduction that
she always felt bad leaving that story hanging like that.

I remember one Aiken story about a ghost of a woman who plays the harp
in the Green Flash.  I'm sure there are many in the stories, she wrote
so many!

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Gin <kalaidiscope at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Has anyone mentioned " The Serial Garden"  a by Joan Aiken yet?  A glorious
> bitter sweet short story featuring the Armitage family, with a spell in the
> form of a tune composed by Michael's music teacher.
>
> Joan Aiken also has music often in her stories, so there may be examples in
> some of her other writing where music is used for magic.
>

> I am really enjoying this thread. Every time I think of a book, I come look
> at my emails and find someone else has already written about it. Like a
> conversation where someone knows you well enough to be thinking  the same
> thing...
>

> Gin
>
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Hallie O'Donovan <hallieod at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Sorry, last message was meant to be in reply to Gili's question about the
>> magic and music story.
>>
>> Here's the link to the message where you might have read it:
>> http://www.suberic.net/pipermail/dwj/2000-April/002162.html
>>
>> Hallie
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Hallie O'Donovan <hallieod at gmail.com
>> >wrote:
>>
>> > The story about magic and music was in that little publicity booklet
>> > HarperCollins put out in 2000, called "Enter the Worlds of Chrestomanci".
>> > There's an extract from *Charmed Life* and an interview with DWJ, though
>> > it doesn't say who did the interviewing. I grabbed many copies when they
>> > were in bookshops, and might even have written that story up -- will
>> check
>> > the archives.
>> >
>> > Hallie

>> don't
>> what
>> was

E. G. Houck - http://erikagillian.livejournal.com
"Shut up the door, ...fatigued I said,
Tie up the Knocker; say I'm sick, I'm dead."
Epistle to Dr. Arbuthnot - Alexander Pope