[DWJ] Music in DWJ

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Nov 29 18:13:14 EST 2011

In Susan Cooper's _The Dark is Rising_, Will and his brother are choristers in the local church, and try to blend their voices so perfectly that it sounds like just one voice singing.
I'm pretty sure there are other music references in the series as well, but it's a long time since I've read it.

In _The Hobbit_ there are songs a-plenty. Not as many as _Lord of the Rings_, of course, but then I wouldn't call LotR kid-lit.
And it is questionable whether the songs are magical - they _seem_ like a non-magical part of the story. But I think they _are_ magical.

Regards
Elizabeth