[DWJ] Music in DWJ

Martha Hixon marthahixon at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 20:33:30 EST 2011

If you are looking for non-DWJ books, there are the young adult "rock and
roll fairy tales" by David Stemple and his mom, Jane Yolen: *Trollbridge*and
*Pay the Piper*. Stemple also has *Singer of Souls,* also featuring a
musician who has faery insight. I'm thinking there are some other Tam Lin
modern retellings that feature a combination of music and magic, though I'm
blanking out on any specific titles at the moment (Holly Black's *Tithe*,
maybe?)

Not a children's lit author, but often read by young adults, is Patricia
McKillip, whose classic *Riddlemaster of Hed* trilogy features the
magician/harpist Deth --the end of that trilogy still moves me deeply, as
do almost all of McKillip's books. One of her latest, *The Bards of Bone
Plain*, also features musical mages. Charles de Lint often features musical
faery people in his urban fairy tales, and I think he has an old
pseudo-medieval fantasy that also features a harpist who is magical--it's a
rather common theme in those kinds of books, eh? So, you may want to be a
bit more specific on how you want to consider the magic/music connections
than simply musicians who are magical.

Martha

Dr. Martha P. Hixon
Department of English