[DWJ] Changeover?

Kylie Ding kylie_ding at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 7 03:12:17 EST 2011

I too found the large cast very confusing.  There were amusing moments, but
I found it a real struggle to finish.  I'd put it aside and then not
remember who was who and get bored.  Really, it's the sort of thing I'd only
consider reading because DWJ wrote it!  It was interesting to see her early
writing, but I don't think I'll ever read it again.

I found the most enjoyable part was the introduction that DWJ wrote for the
edition Meredith published.

I am curious as to the history of the novel.  Does anyone who had studied or
talked to DWJ know why she wrote a non-fantasy novel?  Did she think it
would be easier to get a mainstream novel published?  I'm also curious as to
what people think of it as a book.  I didn't think it was very good, but
that could be because that's not a genre I read much of.  I think DWJ's
fantasy works are much better, and I'm surprised she found a publisher for
Changeover rather than her early fantasy work if she had finished
manuscripts for any of those that she was also trying to get published.

I think I'll start reading Wilkins' Tooth tomorrow.  I know I'll enjoy that
much more.

Byeeee,
Kylie