[DWJ] OT: Steampunk

Elizabeth Parks henx19 at gmail.com
Wed May 25 20:12:10 EDT 2011

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could help me out with some recommendations for
steampunk books.  I got my boyfriend to read the first two books in Scott
Westerfeild's Leviathan trilogy, and he really liked them, and was
interested in more, but it's not a genre I've had a lot of experience with.
 I did a few searches from list history, and came up with some votes for
Philip Reeve and some votes against Gail Carriger.  In the past, I've really
liked Stephenson's The Diamond Age, enjoyed Meljean Brook's The Iron Seas a
lot more than I expected to, couldn't get past the first few chapters of
Cherie Priest's Boneshaker, and that's pretty much the limit of my
knowledge.  I'd appreciate any suggestions, as well as any input on if
Boneshaker would be worth picking up again.

Side note: another thing I've tried to get him to read is The Thief series
by Megan Whalen Turner, which is, as has been remarked on this list before,
terrifically good.  Does anyone know if it is finished with the publication
of A Conspiracy of Kings?  I reread it last week and it seemed pretty
conclusive, but I would love for their to be more.

thank you for your help!

lizzie