[DWJ] Living in other series

jodel at aol.com jodel at aol.com
Wed May 25 14:21:00 EDT 2011

>>I just want to chime in and say that I have always regarded that baby
brother of Janet's as the Cat of her world...<<

He was. He died at birth. And Cat almost did as well. But he did
survive and appears to have been the only analog in that series to have
done so. Which may have something to do with why he is a 9-lived
enchanter. If he inherited all the magic from all the others.

Of course it might not be that simple. We know that there *was* at
least one other Cat analog, but the others may not have ever existed at
all. Much like the way that some of the Gwendolins are orphans, but not
all of them.

And since there have only been about 10 Chrestomancis so far, it isn't
*that* astonishing that they have all been men. What is an equally
intriguing possibility is that given the time involved, how do we know
that there haven't been periods where there was more than one qualified
candidate, and how was the decision made on who to appoint? And what
happened to the others?