[DWJ] Living in other series

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Wed May 25 05:31:03 EDT 2011

On 25/05/11 07:30, Alina wrote:
> It never occurred to me before, but you're right, I can't remember any
> Chrestomanci being female. Interesting. There are plenty of powerful females
> in DWJ's books, but often they're the villains.

It occurred to me, to the point of imagining (but not writing) a fanfic
about a nine-lifed girl in Chrestomanci's world, whose powers turned up
when Cat was looking for a successor, but who could not get accepted as
the next Chrestomanci due to her gender.  I abandoned it when I realised
how unlike a DWJ story it would be -- in her stories, such prejudices
either cease to matter by the end or they are never drawn attention to
in the first place.

I always thought of the sexism in that world as belonging more to the
setting than to Diana's wishes, and I wondered how well Janet would cope
with it when she grew up.  What I do blame Diana for, though, is how
England-centric everything is.  Has there ever been a foreign
Chrestomanci?  Gabriel de Witt's name doesn't sound English, but he
comes across as English as a character, even when we meet him as a young
boy.  Why does Chrestomanci work for the British Government as opposed
to some international body, if his jurisdiction is worldwide (and wider)?

I also wondered what would happen if a nine-lifed person was born in one
of the other worlds in the series.  Could he/she become Chrestomanci
there, or would he/she have to migrate to World A?  Or would he/she
simply get overlooked?  Would a nine-lifed person in our world be an
enchanter at all, or would they (as suggested in Witch Week) instead
have a fierce talent for something else?