[DWJ] Living in other series

Judith Ridge judith.ridge at gmail.com
Wed May 25 02:21:46 EDT 2011

On 25 May 2011 16:03, Farah Mendlesohn <farah.sf at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think you're right--Millie gets to stay because she's "dead" in her
> home
> > world, or paid for with a life.
>

> I've gone back and looked: Millie does not pay her passage with a life. She
> pays for her release *from Asheth* with a life, as her predecessors
> did--only it turns out they usually give a life from one of the Temple cats
> (cue Throgmorton fleeing). And crucially, Millie lies: she claims that she
> used Asheth's life as her second to travel, but it turns out that she used
> one of Christopher's.
>
> Millie stole the life of a Nine Lifed Enchanter!
>

> But we've already discovered this was  not the facilitator of travel
> anyway.
>
> "My dear girl," [Gabriel] said as he sipped it [the cup of tea] "what a
> very
> foolish thing to have done! You are clearly a very powerful enchantress in
> your own right. You had no need to use Asheth."
>
> And a little later: "Asheth has powers, but she never shares them. The ones
> you have are yours."
>

> 1. Millie can strip a nine lifed enchanter of his life
> 2. Millie can travel in full body to another world.
> 3. She is easily Christopher's equal.
>
> So:  why exactly is she not likely to be a nine lifed enchanter? Well, I'd
> say it's because we are all accepting the intrinsic sexism of the world
> (and, I'm sad to say, Diana in 1988) in which Millie can't be the next
> Chrestomanci, because the unspoken qualification is to be male.
>
>  Christopher needs her magic to defeat the Dright.
>
> Which then links to the Tacroy issue.
>
> We are told in Charmed Life that a nine lifed enchanter has all the powers
> that would have been spread across the nine lives. This suggests that in a
> series with thirteen worlds you'd have 13 lived enchanters with the powers
> spread among thirteen compressed into one, or in a five world series, five
> lived enchanters with the powers of those five people compressed into one.
>
> The thing about series 11 is that it is a place that has not been able to
> split. If we follow the logic, then people are enormously powerful because
> their power has never been spread across a series *but* they probably have
> only one life.
>

> On to Tacroy.
>
> We know spirit travelling is rare and that he is the best there is. We also
> know that part of him is kept elsewhere. That part is kept in his home
> world, and his Self is owned by the Dright who uses his magic.
>
> So here's my theory: Christopher is more solid in travelling becausee
> 8/9ths
> (or by the end 3/4s) travels, whereas for Tacroy, partially enslaved, it
> may
> be no more than half.
>
> Tacroy is not nine lived because his series never split, and he is not as
> powerful as Christopher during the period of the book because his power is
> held by the Dright. After that? I'd say all bets are off.  Although my
> [...]
You're all making me want to drop everything and read the Chrestomanci books
again, and I DON'T HAVE TIME! Stop it at once! (And yes, Farah, this IS fun,
but it's TAUNTING ME!)

Judith, grumpy because of funding application hell

--
Judith Ridge
Western Sydney Young People's Literature Officer

Arts and Cultural Development
Blacktown City Council
PO Box 63
(62 Flushcombe Road)