[DWJ] Living in other series

Victoria dragonflygreen11 at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 14:53:54 EDT 2011

jodel at aol.com wrote:
>Plus, Millie is not a 9-lived enchantress either. We're never told that. She's an enchantress, where Gwendolin is just a witch, but I think the issue is that her "life" in series whatever was paid for, by another life, which broke any ties to her point of origin. Conrad didn't pay a life to go to Chrestomancy Castle to study, consequently he was still tied to series 7.

>I think the High Priestess had been stripping lifes off the temple cats and sending the living Asheths off to other worlds for decades. They were all accounted "dead" by their home world, and probably *couldn't* go back.

I think you're right--Millie gets to stay because she's "dead" in her home world, or paid for with a life. Gwendolen, Janet, and all their other Dear Replacements are essentially on a one-for-one exchange, which in some way has a similar effect as not leaving at all (and sealed, as Farah mentions, by dragon's blood). I agree with others that it is pretty clear from the text that Tacroy is not nine-lifed nor as powerful as Christopher, but I will buy that his coming from Eleven, which is not a series and which by all accounts has its own peculiar magic, could make him a special case. Also, we don't actually know how long Tacroy's been in Christopher's world, though his relationship with Miss Rosalie makes it look like he plans to stick around (and he makes a brief cameo in Conrad's Fate, if I'm not mistaken).

So I guess maybe for normal, non-Eleven, non-Replaced people (even magic users) who are not paid for with a life, you can't stay too long in another world?

Victoria

~~~~~

Let the heart complete the pattern.