[DWJ] Living in other series

Victoria dragonflygreen11 at yahoo.com
Mon May 23 14:53:40 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Usual lurker here, but I actually have something relevant to talk about for once, so here goes:

I just re-read Conrad's Fate for the first time (I found I had remembered almost nothing except the nightmare-like chases through the various crumbling alternate palaces), enjoying it very much, until something brought me up short at the end. Conrad is talking about having gone to stay at Chrestomanci Castle for 6 years, but getting sent back by Gabriel DeWitt because "I must go home to Series Seven now or I would start to fade, not being in my own world." Huh?

We have several instances in the other books of people from other Series or worlds going to live in another world permanently without apparent ill-effect--Millie is a prime example, and there are also Janet, Tacroy, Gwendolen, and possibly others I may have forgotten. Any thoughts as to why DWJ wrote this in CF? It wasn't even a necessary plot point, really, since Conrad could have gone back to Series Seven for some other reason. Did we ever hear anything like this in other Chrestomanci books, and I'm just forgetting?

Victoria
~~~~~

Let the heart complete the pattern.