[DWJ] Administrivia: lengthy attachments or digests

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Wed May 11 00:21:33 EDT 2011

Hey, gang,

Most of you probably have e-mail clients that default to what's called "top posting" -- that is, when you are replying to an e-mail, the entire text of the e-mail to which you are replying shows up UNDERNEATH what you write, by default. Sometimes this can be rather long -- and if you are a digest subscriber, it can be exceedingly long. Also, sometimes e-mails get sent which have large attachments.

When this happens, the mailing list software defers the e-mail and sends me notification, asking me if I want to push it through. I'm always unsure what to do in this case; send through the long e-mail which might be large for many members' mailboxes, or reject the e-mail, which seems unfair to the original sender.

So this is just a reminder to all of you to be careful about attachments. And it's a reminder to digest subscribers that when you reply to a digest, make sure not to include the entire digest copied in each e-mail.

Also, I want to make it clear that I'm not calling any person out! It's not that this is bad behavior in any way, it just puts me in an awkward position as far as wanting to do the right thing for all of the list members.

And since I haven't said it recently enough, I heart you guys.

-deborah