[DWJ] New to the list...

Hannah Green hannah.green at sevenstories.org.uk
Tue May 10 10:26:48 EDT 2011

We would certainly hope to do some digitisation and make images available via our website, once the collection has been catalogued.  I'll certainly keep the list informed as and when images of material become available.

I've just been reading a few exercise books which Diana kept as a child.  Two of these, both inscribed on the front cover 'Private Literary Convulsions', contain essays and other compositions written when she was 14 and 15 years old.  She does appear to have been frighteningly clever (certainly a lot cleverer than I was at 14!), and engaged in musings somewhat beyond her years - a brief play, entitled 'Two Shades of Grey', features 'Jo' and 'Loo' (nicknames, in transpires, for Jehovah and Lucifer), debating whether or not to wipe out the human race, given the mess they've made of everything, and start all over again!

There's also an essay entitled 'Juvenile difficulties', written aged 15, which begins: "I want to be a writer, and to all intents and purposes I am; yet I sometimes feel beset by quite as many difficulties as the courageous souls who rant round the pages of any history book.  My difficulties are, in the main, absurdly trivial but unfortunately persistent in their reality."

Her humour, intelligence and insight, and her fluid, easy style are all abundantly evident.  And it all makes for a very entertaining afternoon's reading!

Hannah Green
Archivist
Seven Stories, the Centre for Children's Books
Design Works, William Street, Felling, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear NE10 0JP
Tel. 01914952707
E-mail: hannah.green at sevenstories.org.uk<mailto:hannah.green at sevenstories.org.uk>

Website: www.sevenstories.org.uk<http://www.sevenstories.org.uk/>
Facebook: Find us on Facebook by searching Seven Stories, The Centre for Children's Books
Twitter: Follow us at www.twitter.com/7stories<http://www.twitter.com/7stories>

Think before you print to save energy and paper. Do you really need to print this email? If you do, print it double sided.