[DWJ] Being Talked Up To

Gin kalaidiscope at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 19:11:26 EDT 2011

 I remember reading " The Ogre Downstairs" for the first time, and giving it
to my brother ( 7 years older and in university) to read as well. With the
help of his schoolboy Latin we dredged our memories for days to work out all
the references. Even then, neither of us realised that the "Greek"  in that
book was actually transliterated Northern accented English. I can still
remember that feeling of discovering things and the joy it gave me. I can
remember puzzling out  with my brother that " Dens Drac' was dragons teeth,
and wasn't there a myth about sowing teeth in the ground and coming up
warriors? And of course " Petr Philo" and all the others. Like Eleanor, that
feeling has stayed with me forever and was a factor in choosing to majoring
in Latin and English at University. So you could say that DWJ's " talking
up" made me want to go find out more, and learn more.

Gin