[DWJ] corporal punishment

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 04:07:46 EST 2011

Gili's question sent me into a frenzy - which I passed on to Becca - as I
was *sure* I remember the same scene.

But it was kind of interesting how many books I checked for it had extreme
humiliation of the schoolgirl rather than corporal punishment, somewhat to
my surprise!  FWIW, Gili, Helen in _Jane Eyre_ doesn't die because of being
punished by being made to stand out in the rain.  Helen is made to stand
with the 'slattern' board on her, but the typhus infection which tears
through the school later is because of the situation, "a cradle of fog and
fog-bred pestilence", and "semi-starvation and neglected colds".

In _Anne of Green Gables_, Anne is first made to stand in front of the
blackboard where the teacher has written "Ann Shirley has a very bad temper.
Ann Shirley must learn to control her temper," and Anne says she'd have
"infinitely preferred a whipping".  Later he makes he sit with the boys,
which is so humiliating that Anne refuses to go back to school.  But the
stupid teacher soon leaves and then there's the lovely teacher.

Katy - before the accident, obviously - goes to a school run by a lovely,
gentle woman, who goes no further than a severe scolding, even when Katy
incites the others to riotous games.  When they go off to school in the next
one, I think the limits of the head-teacher's cruelty is to change their
rooms, punishing Katy for something she hasn't done (writing letters to a
BOY).

And the worst that happens to Laura is in - _Little Town on the Prairie_ (I
think!) where Almonzo's horrible sister is teaching school and punishes poor
Carrie, who is small and not terribly strong (she's already fainted in
school) by making her rock the heavy desk because she did it accidentally
while studying.  She pushes too far and then Laura takes over and rocks it
with a vengeance, after which they're both sent home from school.  An almost
mythological punishment in their minds.

More recent and horrifying is in Rachel Manija Brown's _All the Fishes Come
Home to Roost: An American Misfit in India_, where one child is nearly
killed, and it's a minor miracle many don't.

Hallie