[DWJ] corporal punishment

Judith Ridge judith.ridge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 18:15:19 EST 2011

On 10 March 2011 06:45, Deborah Meghnagi Bailey
<deborah at brightweavings.com>wrote:

> I may be remembering a scene from a film rather than the book, but isn't
> Jane Eyre punished rather brutally? And now I'm really getting vague - does
> one of her friends die from being made to stand outside in the rain?
>
> That could be a classic to look at...

Yes, definitely Jane Eyre. There's the Red Room scene (psychological
punishment where she's locked in the haunted room) and all the various
degrees of corporal punishment at Lowood School, including being made to
stand on a chair for hours on end holding a sign saying "Liar" and, of
course, the girls being made to stand in the rain, which did indeed lead to
the death of Helen. All based on Bronte's own experiences at school, I
believe.

Judith

--
Judith Ridge
Western Sydney Young People's Literature Officer

Arts and Cultural Development
Blacktown City Council
PO Box 63
(62 Flushcombe Road)