[DWJ] corporal punishment

Gili Bar-Hillel hptranslator at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 12:25:31 EST 2011

Dear DWJers,

I'm straying off topic, but this list is so wonderful for identifying books
that I can't help myself.
I'm trying to remember a book in which a schoolgirl gets caned across the
palms of the hands. It's something like "What Katy Did" or "Anne of Green
Gables"... Her hands hurt so badly she can hardly hold a pencil afterwards.
Does anyone remember such a scene?
And in general, I'm looking for references in works of fiction to children
being punished by adults, in particular memoirs and fiction from the 19th
century, punishment at school, and corporal punishment. I've come up so far
with the paddling in "The Great Brain", Silas Marner sticking Eppie the coal
shed... I'm sure there are tons more that I can't recall right now. Help
appreciated!

Gili