[DWJ] Fwd: Worst Book of 2010: _Soulless_ by Gail Carriger

Gili Bar-Hillel hptranslator at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 02:12:03 EST 2011

Oh, _Evermore_ was soooo bad. I'd blocked it out of my memory. Though come
to think of it, I did read at least one book this year that was far worse. I
don't know why or how I made it all the way to the end. Another book I read
for the first time this year and thought it a real stinker, though I
understand the TV series is supposed to be funny, was the first of the
_Vampire Diaries_ books. These books are tagged as paranormal romance but
the paranormal aspect is not much more than new-age spiritualism mush, all
vague and blurry and atmospheric, no world building or attention to details.
And the romance aspect is just as annoying, building on stereotypes, sexist
stereotypes at that, of what American highschools are supposed to be like.
"Buffy" was brilliant because it parodied these stereotypes: taken at face
value, I find them loathesome.