[DWJ] best books of 2010

Mon Mar 7 00:11:23 EST 2011

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 10:03:27 +0000, Philip Belben wrote:

>But this does make the romantic sub-plot (if there is one) harder to
>write.  In EG, she seems to have taken the same approach as the late
>lamented Dick King-Smith, and written a romance without hormones.  This
>is not her best romance by a long way, but it worked for me.  The
>characters are well enough developed that you can see how they might
>become romantically involved, even if a lot of it is left discreetly out
>of the book.

That is very well said, and exactly what I mean when I say I don't care for
the romance in _Enchanted Glass_.  It's not the fact of the romance, or the
people involved, just the manner in which it's told in the story.  It felt
sort of bloodless to me.  Since I really enjoy a strong romance, and could
see that the two of them (how bad is it that I don't remember anyone's names
from that book?) were very well suited, I just wanted more from it.

On the other hand, intellectually I like the way it was handled, given that
so much of a *lasting* romance in real life depends on exactly this kind of
relationship.  Sometimes I wonder how I manage to enjoy reading at all when
most of my reading is characterized by this sort of schizophrenic dichotomy.
:)

Melissa Proffitt