[DWJ] Best Books of 2010 - various thoughts

Helen Schinske hschinske at aol.com
Sun Mar 6 18:52:41 EST 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Irina Rempt" <irina at valdyas.org>
To: "Diana Wynne Jones discussion" <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2011 3:22 PM
Subject: Re: [DWJ] Best Books of 2010 - various thoughts

> On Sunday 06 March 2011 23:09:30 Helen Schinske wrote:
>
>> I haven't
>> really warmed to any of McKinley's books since _Deerskin_
>
> Whereras it's _Deerskin_ that I bounced hard off; I don't care for dogs
> and
> incest presses all my buttons.

Oh, I didn't say I warmed to _Deerskin_. _Deerskin_ was probably very good,
but I didn't enjoy reading it (I may try again one of these days), and the
books since have been underwhelming. (Actually _The Outlaws of Sherwood_ was
underwhelming too. I mostly find that one forgettable rather than annoying,
though.)

I can easily see why people might find_Dragonhaven_ too irritating to get on
with. I almost did myself, and then I got fond of bits of it and started not
minding the rest too much.

Helen Schinske