[DWJ] Best Books of 2010

Kyla Mackay-Smith kyla at keyfitz.org
Sun Mar 6 15:28:34 EST 2011

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

>> May I just share that giving recommendations to this list is a bit
> nervous-making. People here whose taste I appreciate so much that I feel my
> own recommendations have to be spot on, too. And then if someone didn't like
> a book I recommended, my first reaction is "oh no, did I do wrong? Did I
> maybe actually not like that book? Do I need to recalibrate my taste? Have I
> FAILED the list?"
>
> Which is why I'm glad that the rest of you are not in perfect agreement.
> Just a reminder that even people who love Diana Wynne Jones and therefore
> clearly have the Best Taste in books evidently have differing tastes, and
> different levels of tolerance for certain kinds of cliches. PHEW, what a
> relief!

Well, and also, even though we all love Diana Wynne Jones, we all seem to
have different favorites and least-favorites, and presumably for different
reasons. So that's interesting too--that my favorites are other people's
"bleh, I don't reread that one" or "take it or leave it," and vice versa.
Most of the new books I read in the last year were ones recommended by
Angie at angieville.blogspot.com, and I very much liked almost all of them
(one I hated, and one was just okay)--but she just can't get into DWJ.
Practically the only person in the world whose book tastes coincide nearly
perfectly with mine is my older sister, probably because she (along with
my parents) formed my tastes. So no one's recommendations are going to be
perfect, so we all just have to figure out whose fit our tastes best. :^)