[DWJ] Best Books of 2010 - various thoughts

Debbie Gascoyne dgascoyne at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 12:08:41 EST 2011

I had an interesting conversation about Pegasus with Deirdre Baker, a friend
of mine who writes for The Horn Book.  She had the same reaction to it as
you did, Gili, and complained bitterly about the ending.  I said "but
everyone knew it was the first of two!  Don't you read her blog?" and she
exclaimed "No! and I shouldn't HAVE to!  There was no hint anywhere that it
was part one of two, not even "to be continued" at the end."

What does everyone think about that?  As someone who lives much of my time
online, I took for granted the "paratext" available of blog entries and so
on and pretty much knew that I was facing a downer ending on a cliffhanger
(and, for the record, loved the book, though I did not like the ending).
Obviously, people had other problems with it as well, but that seems to have
been the last straw for many.

Debbie.