[DWJ] best books of 2010

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Sun Mar 6 02:41:21 EST 2011

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, Jackie E Stallcup wrote:

> Here's a book that a friend just recommended and no one has mentioned
> yet: The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: Book I: The Mysterious
> Howling.  It's described as a cross between Lemony Snicket and Jane Eyre.

I just read that when a couple of weeks ago, and I quite enjoyed it -- and that's an excellent description. I liked it more than the Lemony Snicket books, actually, because I found it less prone to winking at older readers (although that might have just been me). I'm not sure if the humor value will carry over into a continuing series, but I'm definitely planning on reading book 2.

In the last two weeks I have mainlined every book of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files except for the most recent and the short story collection. The only reason I haven't been averaging one book a day is because I have other reading I'm paid to do. :( The books are addictive, and the character development gets richer and more enjoyable as the books go on.

-deborah