[DWJ] Best Books of 2010 (A.M. Winslow)

Gili Bar-Hillel hptranslator at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 01:19:04 EST 2011

> May I just share that giving recommendations to this list is a bit
nervous-making. People here whose taste I appreciate so much that I feel my
own recommendations have to be spot on, too. And then if someone didn't like
a book I recommended, my first reaction is "oh no, did I do wrong? Did I
maybe actually not like that book? Do I need to recalibrate my taste? Have I
FAILED the list?"

Which is why I'm glad that the rest of you are not in perfect agreement.
Just a reminder that even people who love Diana Wynne Jones and therefore
clearly have the Best Taste in books evidently have differing tastes, and
different levels of tolerance for certain kinds of cliches. PHEW, what a
relief!

I've discovered so many treasures through the recommendations of this list,
and I'm going to keep giving mine, even if not everybody always loves every
book I recommend. So there. Speaking of which, another book I really enjoyed
this year was "The Red Wolf Conspiracy" by Robert Redick, and one book I did
NOT enjoy this year, though sometimes I love books by this author, was
"Pegasus" by Robin McKinley. Asides from many other reasons I had to not
like this book, I think it's worth knowing in advance that it ends on a
cliffhanger.