[DWJ] best books of 2010

Judith Ridge judith.ridge at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 05:28:19 EST 2011

On 5 March 2011 21:03, Philip Belben <philip at axeside.co.uk> wrote:

> Jackie said:
>
>  I quite liked Enchanted Glass, even the romance.
>>

> Oh, good, I'm not the only one!

>  And can I say.... it's so nice to hear from you all!  I like it when
>> we're a bit lively.
>>

> I'll second that.  I need something to divert my mind at the moment!
>
> I recently found myself in the unusual (for me) situation of having a
> girlfriend.  On Monday just gone, she quite unexpectedly walked out of my
> life for good.  For the first time I can remember, I was so depressed that
> when I sat down at the piano I could not play myself into a more cheerful
> frame of mind, however briefly.  The experience is not unlike bereavement -
> I am still constantly catching myself on thoughts of "J---- would appreciate
> that" or "That's a good idea for when J---- and I ..."
>
> And I didn't even get her reading DWJ :-(
>
> Philip.

Right, DWJers, we are charged with diverting Philip and making him more
cheery. As a dumpee myself (although not all that recently, fortunately) I
appreciate the sentiment. So, what shall we chat about? Something amusing
and droll, I vote. Or perhaps musical, as music is Philip's thing. How about
music in the books of DWJ? Isn't there someone who is just a TERRIBLE
singer? I can't put my finger on it. What about Cart and Cwidder? The hymn
in The Magicians of Caprona?

This is what Diana told me about the inspiration for that when I interviewed
her in 1992. (Astonishing! Nearly 20 years ago!)

* Yes, I think that the whole origin of The Magicians of Caprona was really
rather significant that way, because this was one... it was my husband who
acquired a new record, and it was one that I'd only heard a little of before
and that was "Ma Vlast", was it Janaçek? It means "My Country", and he was
Czech. Anyway, it's a beautiful, beautiful suite, each movement is about
certain aspects of his country, and one is about... this is why I called the
river that, actually, in Caprona... is about the river Voltava. It's a
beautiful, beautiful piece of river music, and when the river swells and
becomes itself a river, and therefore itself, it has this wonderful tune,
and it's a tune, I thought, "My God, why has nobody put words to it?" This
was the origin, the need for words. That's how the book came about. *

Off we go, then! Cheerful, distracting chat. Your time begins—now!

Judith

--
Judith Ridge
Western Sydney Young People's Literature Officer

Arts and Cultural Development
Blacktown City Council
PO Box 63
(62 Flushcombe Road)