[DWJ] Best books of 2010 list

Sally Odgers sally at sallyodgers.com
Fri Mar 4 21:33:11 EST 2011

My Best Book for 2010 is Donaya Haymon's Waking Echoes. It's the third
and most complex of the ongoing Laconia series. It shares a few
characters in common with Halloween Romance and Bite Me but whereas
they're magic realism (HR is about the romance between a melancholy
vampire college student called Ferdinand (who GETS that he's being a
stereotype!)  and Selene, a werewolf) and Bite Me is about their
Shifter daughter Di's high school problems), WE is more complicated.
Taylor is a school friend of Di's and the odd happenings next door are
only the tip of the iceberg for her. She's being haunted by an
emaciated scarred version of herself from a world that ended long ago.
Worst Book? Hmm, much as I hate to say so, it's by someone I know
slightly. It's not a bad read, but it has a plot hole I could hurl the
author through. It's commercially published by an established firm, and
I cannot understand why her editor didn't make her fix it. If she'd
sent it to me to assess, I'd have told her No, NO, a thousand times No!
I've blanked the title, but it's a modern ballet story. There are much
worse books about, but them I gave up on smartish.

Sally Odgers