[DWJ] Best books of 2010 list

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 17:42:21 EST 2011

Thanks to Ros for giving us the jump-start necessary to do these!  Also, I
really liked the sound of the Foz Meadows book, and that's gone on my
to-read shelf on Goodreads.

Potted version of the Strange Horizons "2010 in Review" is that my
favourites were Connie Willis' _Blackout_ and _All Clear_, Sherwood Smith's
new Ruritanian novels, _Coronets and Steel_ and Kim 2 (may have a title by
now and all), and the Magic Thief series, by Sarah Prineas.  Dorian is
responsible for the last, and I haven't stopped going on about her great
recommendation although it was well over a year ago.

In non spec fic reading, I thought Rachel Manija Brown's _All the Fishes
Come Home to Roost: An American Misfit in India_ was wonderful.  And
_Alchemy and Meggy Swann_ wasn't at the top of my list of Karen Cushman
books, but it wasn't far down it either, and grew on me even more
afterwards.

I didn't have one worst book, but I certainly read some stinkers - most of
them YA historicals.  Really. Painful.  In fact, one of the books in that
category that disappointed me greatly was Cassandra Clare's _Clockwork
Angel_.  Some of that was that I'd expected more of it, but still - sorry,
Gili!

Currently reading the new Martha Wells and waiting very impatiently for an
ARC of Franny Billingsley's _Chime_.

Hallie