[DWJ] Don't let Facebook assimilate you....

Fri Mar 4 14:00:46 EST 2011

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 07:05:41 +0100, Irina Rempt wrote:

>On Friday 04 March 2011 02:36:47 Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>> *Reviews posted on Facebook.  It's easier than maintaining a blog.
>
>I wish people (in general, not specifically you) wouldn't do that; I'm
>starting to feel it's mandatory to have a Facebook account.  And I don't want
>one; it would make me paranoid, which I'm usually not online, because it's all
>right with me that *people* see something personal about me, but it's not all
>right with me that a company that sells me to advertisers has my personal
>stuff.
>
>Note that I'm not *asking* anyone not to do it, but if you do, please realise
>that I won't see it, and I'm probably not the only one. (If I *am* the only
>one, ah well, I've been a bleeding-edge Luddite all my life.)

Sorry, I thought I was clear that I knew many people here don't have a
Facebook account and don't want one--this did come up recently with regard
to the conference photos.  I mentioned it solely so anyone who was
interested in following the 2011 reading project would either know where to
look, or know not to beat your heads against the wall finding it.

I do find Facebook very convenient for keeping track of my very large family
and old high school friends. I do *not* find it as convenient for posting
reviews as a blog is, but an unfortunate side effect of having a huge family
full of worse Luddites than you, Irina (no kidding) is that they don't have
any idea how to use a blog reader and consider it "extra work"--though how
it's more work than keeping a vast list of family blogs and clicking on each
one daily without knowing if it's been updated, I have no idea.  So I ended
up posting reviews on FB, even though it's much less flexible, to keep
everything I did in one place.

I know what you're saying about feeling like it's mandatory to have a
Facebook account because I felt the same way before I got one.  So if I
mention that I'm doing things on FB, please don't take that as a hint that I
think you should do the same.  It will probably feel that way, no matter
what--it *is* a casual assumption, and maybe not a totally bad one, but I
went to high school as a Mormon surrounded by Baptists and the FB culture
feels the same way to me.

And if anyone who is *not* on Facebook is interested in seeing what I'm
reading this year, let me know and I'll be happy to send the reviews along.

Melissa Proffitt