[DWJ] Best books of 2010 list

Fri Mar 4 13:50:34 EST 2011

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 21:51:05 +1100, Roslyn Gross wrote:

>On 4/03/11 12:36 PM, "Melissa Proffitt" <Melissa at Proffitt.com> wrote:
>>
>>Worst Book of 2010: _Soulless_ by Gail Carriger
>>Call me crazy, but somehow I expect the author of a steampunk book to know
>>the difference between Regency and Victorian culture.  It's got a cute
>>premise, but the main character annoyed me and the author annoyed me even
>>more.  Unfortunately I have a friend who loves the series, so I have to
>>restrain myself from ranting as much as I'd like.  (This book suddenly
>>looks
>>a lot better now that I already have a candidate for Worst Book of 2011.)
>>
>>I agree that in lots of ways it's silly and that Carriger gets lot of
>>things wrong - she not only confuses Regency and Victorian culture but
>>puts modern American expressions into her characters' mouths, which
>>really annoyed me. Nevertheless I couldn't help enjoying the books!

It's always interesting to me how different people have different, um,
tolerances, maybe? for books.  My husband Jacob likes a lot of books that
drive me crazy (and vice versa), mostly along this line--it isn't that he
doesn't get what's silly or stupid or wrong about a book, it just doesn't
matter to him.  And then he wouldn't finish _The Hunger Games_ because the
political backstory is to him a huge stumbling block--he can't just take it
as a given and move on, even when I assured him that *yes*, the series is
about changing the status quo.  I would say I wished I could enjoy
_Soulless_ despite the flaws, and in a way I sort of do--really, who
wouldn't want one's list of enjoyable books to expand?--but in a way I think
it's better to use it as a marker to identify what kind of a reader I am, if
that makes sense.

Besides, if we never disagree we can never have good discussions, neh?

Melissa Proffitt