[DWJ] Best books of 2010 list

Gili Bar-Hillel hptranslator at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 10:50:27 EST 2011

I've been in a bind ever since I became a publisher and my favorite reads of
the year are kind of like trade secrets. I want to buy translation rights
for some of these books, and I don't want other Israeli publishers beating
me to the punch because I shared my recommendations in public. I hate this
paranoia but that's the way it is. Still, I can recommend books we've
ALREADY bought rights for, or won't for whatever reason. Hence:

I heartily second the recommendation for "Gullstruck Island", aka "The Lost
Conspiracy". Frances Hardinge just gets better from book to book, for me she
is the next Diana Wynne Jones. I also enjoyed "Twilight Robbery", the sequel
to "Fly by Night": maybe not quite as brilliant but brilliant enough. I read
this right after reading "The City and the City" by China Mieville, both
books are about two cities co-habitating the same geographical space and it
was an interesting juxtaposition. ("The City and the City" left me just a
bit cold, though.)

Holly Black's "The Curse Workers" series is very interesting, starting with
"White Cat" and now "Red Gloves". Clever, depressing. I also love that she
is in a "gang" with Cassandra Clare, and they give each others' characters
cameos in their books. Clare's "Clockwork Angel" was a fun read, good
prequel to her "Mortal Instruments" trilogy, despite the seemingly
inevitable anachronisms.

"Soulless" by Gail Carriger I did enjoy, though I too was a bit jarred by
the anachronisms. Cherie Priest's book "Boneshaker" I did not enjoy half as
much as I hoped to, I think I'm over zombies. Or maybe I just overdosed on
steampunk. My favorite steampunk is still Philip Reeve, and "Fever Crumb" is
my favorite of the Mortal Engines books.

"Liar" by Justine Larabalastier was well written and intriguing, though I
still have whiplash from the 180 degree twist in the plot. Interesting also
to read in in conjunction with Maggie Steifvater's werewolf books. I loved
"Shiver" (I translated it into Hebrew for another publisher), did not like
"Linger" quite as much but sometimes second books in trilogies are like
that...

I could not finish "The Ask and the Answer" by Patrick Ness, it had my
stomach tied in knots and I just could not handle the cruelty, but I'm told
its fantastic.

Off the top of my head, with people bugging me to use the computer....