[DWJ] Best books of 2010 list

Jennifer Rowland janamouse at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 4 06:20:48 EST 2011

Melissa wrote:
> Worst Book of 2010: _Soulless_ by Gail Carriger
> Call me crazy, but somehow I expect the author of a steampunk book to know
> the difference between Regency and Victorian culture.  It's got a cute
> premise, but the main character annoyed me and the author annoyed me even
> more.

We are the chorus, and we agree, we agree, we agree! I gave up on this partway through- I expect it would have been fun enough if it hadn't been getting the society so RONG.

Here are a few of the things I enjoyed most last year, in no particular order. They're all fairly recent but not all published 2010 by any means. I also liked Enchanted Glass, of course!

Robin McKinley, Chalice. (I love the way McKinley's heroines are obsessed by their job and fall in love much more absent-mindedly. Chalice's bees are terrific.)

Jo Walton, Lifelode. (Brilliant, small-scale, solid fantasy. I expect Among Others will be one of my favourite books of 2011- I'm saving it till I go on holiday!)

Sherwood Smith, Treason's Shore. (Excellent end to an excellent series.)

Kage Baker, Hotel in the Sand. (Charming children's fantasy.)

Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, Fledgling and Saltation (More Liaden universe, hooray!)

Kit Whitfield, In Great Waters. (Chewy stuff, well-thought-through species and politics)

Adam Rex, The True Meaning of Smekday. (*Cuddles book*)

Tery Pratchett and Jacqueline Simpson, The Folklore of Discworld. (Lots of nice fantasy worldbuilding, funny bits, and of course interesting about real folklore.)

Ursula Le Guin, Lavinia. (Gripping.)

Germaine Greer, Shakespeare's Wife (Solid sorces and interesting stuff)

Charlie Brooker, TVGoHome (Adorably misanthropic, also, worryingly accurate about television.)

Robin Ince, The Bad Book Club (Another *cuddles book*, for different reasons- this one's about the joy of reading "differently good" books and is sweet and absolutely hilarious.)

Jennifer