[DWJ] Earwig and the Witch

Katarina Hjärpe katarina.hjarpe at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 11:12:03 EDT 2011

Interesting - and you're quite right! I hadn't thought of that. I was mostly
reminded of the early castle-stages in Howl's Moving Castle, where Sophie
sticks her nose into everything, with a little side dish of Awful. But now
that I see it from your perspective, I'm amazed that I hadn't before.

But then, the same character types do show up as both good and evil quite a
lot in DWJ's stories.

Katta

> ...Earwig is not only a witch herself, she's an *evil* witch of exactly the
> manipulative kind that DWJ so often made the villain. She sees everyone,
> from her friend at the orphanage to the witch who takes her in, purely in
> terms of how they can be worked on.  She's Aunt Maria in bunches! And yet
> she's the heroine of the book, and there's no serious attempt made to
> distance us from her.
>
> Is that not odd?
>
> Charlie
>
> --