[DWJ] Earwig and the Witch

Charlie Butler charles.hannibal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 07:20:29 EDT 2011

Hopefully people who ordered have now had time to read *Earwig and the Witch
*. I haven't reread it since I first got it a month ago, but what struck me
most was that, in my opinion at least....

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

...Earwig is not only a witch herself, she's an *evil* witch of exactly the
manipulative kind that DWJ so often made the villain. She sees everyone,
from her friend at the orphanage to the witch who takes her in, purely in
terms of how they can be worked on.  She's Aunt Maria in bunches! And yet
she's the heroine of the book, and there's no serious attempt made to
distance us from her.

Is that not odd?

Charlie

--