[DWJ] Any links to Best of 2010 lists?

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Thu Feb 3 00:58:41 EST 2011

I've been meaning to post my list, but so far it's pretty simple:

HUSH, by Eishes Chayil.

Just read it. Seriously, utterly gorgeous. The book has an Issue (TM), but it's also got stunning characterization, story development, and climax. Be warned that it is painful and deals with issues which may trigger.

Thoroughly enjoyed Emily Horner's A LOVE STORY STARRING MY DEAD BEST FRIEND. In a lot of ways it reminded me of MY MOST EXCELLENT YEAR (Kluger) and WILL GRAYSON WILL GRAYSON (Green and Levithan) but I liked it better than either of those.

There were a lot of books I quite enjoyed this year but those were the only two that really stood out for me.

I was underwhelmed by books I expected to love such as MOCKINGJAY and FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK. In other series continuations, Scott Westerfeld's BEHEMOTH was enjoyable but not a best-of-the-year. A CONSPIRACY OF KINGS was really thought-provoking but I have to read it again (in non-galley form) before I make up my mind.

Books I liked and I think y'all should read but I wouldn't call "best books of the year": Marina Budhos' TELL US WE'RE HOME wasn't subtle but I enjoyed it a lot. HALF WORLD, by Hiromi Goto, which was fascinating but the prose was a little rushed.

Recent books I didn't read until this year, but which aren't 2010 books, but which you should totally read: MEXICAN WHITEBOY
by Matt de la Pena. À LA CARTE by Tanita S. Davis is chock-full of food porn and is kinda-kinda about fat positivity. (And speaking of food porn, SILVER PHOENIX by Cindy Pon! Om nom nom!)

In other genres, I was thrilled that the second bound volume CASTLE WAITING graphic novel (by Linda Medley) was finally released. It looks like it might be a while until there are more of them, if ever, so I read it slowly. I love those stories. And Barry Deutsch's HEREVILLE: HOW MIRKA GOT HER SWORD was incredibly sweet. And in mass-market romance, I adored the sweet and intelligent IN FOR A PENNY by Rose Lerner.

Worst book of the year? I AM NUMBER FOUR by Pittacus Lore (a.k.a. James Frey's children's literature sweatshop).

-deborah