[DWJ] Wilkins' Tooth

Thu Dec 29 15:58:58 EST 2011

I probably should have thought of TV Tropes and asked my daughter, who knows
every entry by heart. :) Thanks!

Melissa Proffitt

-----Original Message-----
From: dwj-bounces at suberic.net [mailto:dwj-bounces at suberic.net] On Behalf Of
Katarina Hjärpe
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 11:50 AM
To: Diana Wynne Jones discussion
Subject: Re: [DWJ] Wilkins' Tooth

I couldn't get hold of Wilkins' Tooth in time, so I skipped that one.
Sounds like it'd be a fun read!

Changeover started like a big game of Telephone; Wilkins' Tooth starts
> with-I don't know if it has a name, but it crops up everywhere from
> fairytale to song to MASH episode, which is how I remember it best.
> Person A needs something from Person B, who will give it to her if
> Person A gives her something that can only be gotten from Person C,
> and so on.

TvTropes calls this a Chain of Deals:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChainOfDeals

(I love how you can always count on TvTropes to have a name for everything.)

Katta