[DWJ] First and Last Children's Books

Philip Belben philipbelben at alice.de
Mon Dec 26 04:57:07 EST 2011

Hello Again.

It is still December, so I think Wilkins' Tooth is still open for
discussion, isn't it?  If there's been any, it's not reached me :-(

One thing I've always liked about WT is the way she played with
language.  Buster and the gang used colourful language, which according
to a convention I've seen in one or two other places since, was rendered
as colours.  She then took that and played with it - having the other
kids make remarks like "between the Devil and the deep blue Buster".
Just something to keep the reader on his or her mental toes...

On re-reading WT I noticed two more direct connections with Earwig and
the Witch.  One is the eyes that Jessica Adams gives Jessica Pyrie:  one
brown and one blue, to match those of Bella Yaga.

The other is the relationship between Mr Adams and Biddy.  I couldn't
help wondering if it had started out like that between Custard and
Earwig.  Or (it suddenly occurs to me as I type) was it more like that
between Tom and Laurel...

The fact that there's enough there to speculate about shows how, even
then, Jones insisted on making her adult characters real people.

Philip.