[DWJ] Music in DWJ

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Thu Dec 1 01:58:28 EST 2011

Another Joan Aiken story is "A Harp of Fishbones", which is in a collection
named the same, and of course that's about music and magic too.

But honestly, there are SO MANY stories with music and magic in them, more
and more keep coming to mind. There's at least one story in the new
"Welcome to Bordertown" collection (edited by Ellen Kushner and Holly
Black) that's all about music, I'm sure there are more examples in the
shared Bordertown world.

Thanks to Minnow and Hallie for confirming my memory of that story about
Diana and the music! So it wasn't Beethoven but Schubert, and she didn't
snap her fingers but entwine them. I'm almost pleased I got these details
wrong: that's how urban myths are born, and this story deserves to be an
urban myth. (I'm not sure what I just wrote makes any sense.)