[DWJ] Game of Thrones

Deborah Meghnagi Bailey deborah at brightweavings.com
Thu Apr 28 10:26:57 EDT 2011

I'm not a huge fan of the books, but I have read them, and I re-read
relatively recently in preparation for the show.

So far, while they've obviously had to leave details out for space, the show
is almost 100% faithful to the story of the book. They've made the two
younger Stark boys slightly older than they are in the book, and they added
in the scene where Cersei and Jaime discuss the death of Jon Arryn to give
us some back story. The scene with Tyrion and the whores was made up (he
certainly frequents whores as individuals but there's no group sex scene
anywhere in the books). They also changed some of the plot details of the
Dothraki storyline while remaining essentially true to it.

The prologue scene isn't exactly in the book, but the spirit of it is
accurate - the things the three men of the watch see are present beyond the
wall, and in the first book of the series, these things are beginning to
happen.

The books are certainly not high fantasy - they are much more about a
medieval sort of political intrigue, with various slightly fantastical
elements beginning to threaten the world of men. Even by the end of book 4,
which is where the series stands currently, none of these threats have fully
actualized and it's much more about the fighting between the various houses
of Westeros. I enjoyed it for its complex characters and shading of good and
bad, but the last book I found very boring and I'm concerned GRR Martin is
losing hold of his world. The next book is supposed to be published in July,
which is six years after the last one was published, and there are supposed
to be another two books after that, to complete the series. We'll see.