[DWJ] Impress of first book?

Thu Apr 28 00:44:49 EDT 2011

The first DWJ book I read was probably _Power of Three_, but it might have
been _Cart and Cwidder_. I was a very silly teenager when it came to
reading. Even though I loved _Power of Three_ it never occurred to me to
look for any other books by the same author. I didn't actually discover DWJ
(in the sense of identifying her with her books) until I was maybe 17 and a
friend recommended that I read _Howl's Moving Castle_. I remember it mainly
because it was during a phone conversation and I had to get her to spell
Howl (West Texas accent + long distance connection = unintelligible proper
nouns). After that, I just read as many as I could find. This was in the
late '80s/early '90s and DWJ's books were just getting popular over here,
but it was still more fun to go questing for them at Powell's or Bookman's.

My most exciting experience with DWJ's books, though, was when the Dalemark
Quartet actually became a quartet. I had read _Cart and Cwidder_ and later
_The Spellcoats_, but I had no idea that they were set in the same world
(silly teenager, remember?) and I certainly had never heard of _Drowned
Ammet_.  I bought the whole set in one go and was entirely satisfied.

Melissa Proffitt