[DWJ] question: where to get DWJ's older books?

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Apr 21 05:20:30 EDT 2011

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 18:40:18 -0700
Isabel Yap <yap.isabel at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think they've recently republished her books in the UK, but they
> somehow never reach shelves in the US.  (It was hard to find them in
> the Philippines, too, where I'm really from - but I realize now that
> they had even more of her books there than here!)  :(  Can anyone
> recommend any online sellers/the best way to get these older DWJ
> books?

You could ask Brian Ameringen of Porcupine Books, who was her friend,
to find specific books for you. The website is at
http://www.porcupine.demon.co.uk/

If he doesn't have what you want, he looks out for it and then sends it
to you when he finds it.  This means the result may not be immediate,
but it is reliable -- or I have found it so, yeah, even unto a copy of
the Skiver's Guide published as the Japanese school text, back before
that was republished.  He is also the person who found me T.H. White's
"The Witch in the Wood" in the days before t'Internet being the way to
buy and sell, so I have a fair bit of faith in his abilities.  (grin)

It's all a bit like 88 Charing Cross Road, if you know that book?
Postage and the exchange rate are not quite so favourable these days
as they were when that was written, so it's not perhaps the cheapest
way to find them, but he's an honest man (apparently rare in the
second-hand book trade).  He does only deal in Sterling, but that is
likely to be the case with any smaller UK bookseller, I suspect.

Minnow